Monday, April 20, 2015

Problems with coordinates

I finally got to the point of plotting some points onto a map. I wrote a script that generates the example from Google Maps and just placing "markers". From there, I replaced the example points with points from my data. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried manually plotting just one point, which also didn't work.

My suspicion is that the lat long data are erroneous. Either the wrong format, or just bogus data, or something. I will have to circle back to the beginning and look at the coordinate data. Perhaps my hokey conversion using the random website wasn't good...

I looked at the lat long coordinates on Google maps of New York City. The ranges of values are around 40ish and -74ish, nowhere near the range of numbers from my dataset. My dataset's numbers look more like 1,000,000ish and 200,000ish, not even in the same ballpark.

I had to get the "lat long" coordinates by running the given GIS data through an unknown online conversion tool. I can give that a go again, perhaps paying more attention to the settings. Google Maps claims to use WGS84, and I'm pretty sure that's the format I chose.

---
Looking at the metadata PDF for the original GIS data, appears that the coordinates given are in "state plane". I guess the online tool never did any conversions, whether it could or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment