Sunday, July 5, 2015

Prior art discouragement

I started finding existing products that do a lot of, or even do entirely what I want to do.

1. Street Parker has a nice interface. It doesn't show exactly what I want, but it has all the tools to make it happen. It also uses some open source (?) software for the interface. I want to look into that.

2. Smooth Parking is basically what I want, and it already exists! Dammit. They already have a nice web interface and mobile apps. 

3. An app that used to exist called PrimoSpot seems like it did a decent job at presenting parking info. I think I had read about it but for some reason the app is gone.

Where do I go from here? Do I continue this journey? To get to even Smooth Parking's level of features and polish will take me a very long time. I'm very discouraged.

I did notice that Smooth Parking's web interface treats times like I do - in 15 minute increments. I guess I wasn't completely crazy when I picked that. And the web interface is actually fairly slow when zoomed out. Plus, the mobile app doesn't show data until you're zoomed in up to a certain level, presumably because of performance.

I won't be discouraged. I think there is still hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment