Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Fusion Table frustrations

As previously stated, I created a new column that encompasses all "no parking" and "other" type signs. I use this column in the filtering. Again, this is because Fusion Tables doesn't support OR operators. I didn't explore the possibility of using IN.

Now that I'm able to select between showing different types of signs, I wanted to represent the points as different colors. Red for no parking, green for other (I hesitate to call it "parking allowed" because there are some signs like "Taxi only" and what not, that isn't categorized properly yet.). I looked at many examples of other people's code, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I found that Derek's tutorial did talk about it. Essentially there's an interface within Fusion Tables that allows me to create "buckets", which are different values of a column. I can assign different colors to different buckets. Perfect! or so I thought. For some reason, I'm only able to choose between two buckets, "x" and "id". How utterly useless! I can't find any logical reason why that might be. I saw in the "select columns" chooser that "x" and "id" were the 10th and 11th columns respectively. I tried moving a different column in there, but no luck.

Another thing. Whenever I make a change to the data, whether its reordering the columns or setting colors for different buckets, there seems to be a delay before the data becomes usable. For example, if I load my map immediately after making a change, instead of my points I might see error messages across the map about how the data isn't available yet.

You can praise Google for a lot of things, but you can criticize a lot as well. Maybe I should look into CartoDB, just pay for it and be done with it.

--
The question is: now what? I don't know what features I'd want to add in the short time between now and the September 20th deadline.

Maybe an app to take photos and record the GPS location? Here's a quick and dirty pipeline idea:

photo of sign and GPS location -> OCR text from picture -> store in CSV -> run in normal pipeline


No comments:

Post a Comment