Tuesday, September 15, 2015

LA Street Park

I found a decent URL that I plan to stick with: lastreetpark.com !

I thought I needed to have a whole separate server. I went through some of the motions of cloning my existing AWS virtual machine. Turns out I didn't need to. I can set some configurations in the Apache server, and based on what hostname is pointing to my IP, I can serve files from my desired location. (Once configurations are changed, I needed to restart the server.)

For reference:
  • Apache configurations live in /etc/apache2 , at least for my setup.
  • I added a new VirtualHost tag in the ./sites-enabled/000-.... file. 
My configurations in Hover were apparently incorrect. URLs of the form like lastreetpark.com pointed to my server fine, but www.lastreetpark.com didn't. Instead it would redirect to a default Hover page about not having redirects enabled or something.

The fix was to modify both the "A" values in the DNS settings. There are two: the "@", and the "*". I had only set the "@" setting to my IP, but also setting the "*" seems to allow all URLs of the form *.lastreetpark.com to work. I needed to have a chat session with Hover to learn about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment