Monday, October 12, 2015

Back on the horse

Since submitting my project to Challenge LA, I had completely stopped working on it. Barely gave it a thought actually. I figured I'd start looking for a job while waiting to hear back. The announcement of the winner(s) was to be on October 10th, which was this past Saturday. Did I win? Well, I don't know. Through a series of questionable circumstances the event was cancelled, with no future date given for any further developments. Government programs, am I right?

Luckily Santa Monica came through, in a way. They've created their own civic tech competition dubbed Hack the Beach. Very similar setup to Challenge LA, with the areas of focus being "community, mobility, and civic engagement".

I went to both events last week. I met a number of individuals from the City, including Francie and Kegan. They were helpful in pointing me to some existing datasets regarding street parking regulations. One dataset in particular looks very promising. I'll take a deeper look later.

Now the plan is to restart work on my project. I plan to do a 50/50 split between working on it while continuing interview prep. Deadline for the application is October 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment